Thursday, February 18, 2010

Competency: Library Literature and Books in Print

How can copyright be protected in the digital world? (Or, how can we handle digital rights management – an answer to the first question)

This is the same question I used for the EricFirst and Worldcat search.

Key terms & facets

Protect

Copyright(s)

Digital world

My terms

Protect

Protection

Copyright(s)

Digital world

Digital rights

Electronic books

Library Lit

Electronic publishing/legal aspects

Books in Printdidn't find any that I hadn't alreadyfound

Another term I have learned about from my last search assignment is Digital Rights Management (DRM) that could work as well.

Library Lit Boolgan subject search: digital rights AND management AND protect

Search results came up empty.

Library Lit Boolgan smart search: digital rights AND management AND protect

The results were 29 records. Several looked promising too. One of the records I chose was "Publishers, Audible Watching eMusic Moves" by Jim Milliot as it deals with DRM and providing unencrypted file to buyers.

Milliot, J. (2007). Publishers, Audible Watching eMusic Moves. Publishers Weekly , 4.

Another article I found was "Ethical Issues Implicit in Library Authentication and Access Management: Risks and Best Practices" by Pam Dixon (2008). This one is about how libraries are involved with DRM.

Dixon, P. (2008). "Ethical Issues Implicit in Library Authentication and Access Management: Risks and Best Practices". Journal of Library Administration , 141-62.

I did complete another search that dealt with how school libraries could inform students about digital copyrights and found an interesting article titled "Front & Center: the Role of Libraries and Copyright in the Digital Age" by G.M. O'Gara (2008).


Books in Print Boolgan subject search: digital rights management AND protect

No matches were found.

Books in Print Boolgan subject search: electronic AND copyright

158 records were found. This is better than the first search, but there are lots of records to go through. Several of the books did seem interesting though. Digital Copyright by Simon Stokes and Intellectual Property Law and Interactive Media: Free for a Fee by Edward Lee Lamoureux both seem to be good for a basic understanding of what copyright and the Internet is.

Books in Print Boolgan subject search: digital rights management AND copyright AND protection

14 matches were found for this search. Handbook of Research on Secure Multimedia Distribution by Shiquo Lian was a book in found in the search and is another good one for getting an understanding on all things dealing with the multimedia (such as the Internet).

Shiquno Lian, Y. Z. (2009). Handbook of Research on Secure Multimedia Distribution. IGI Global.

Books in Print Boolgan subject search: libraries AND copyright

65 matches were found for this search. The book I picked out from this search is Licensing and Managing Electronic Resources: A Librarian's Guide. This book discusses the Electronic Resources librarian with a focus on the copyrights that go with this part of the digital age.

Albitz, R. S. (2008). Licensing and Managing Electronic Resources: A Librarian's Guide. Chandos Publishing.

ETA: In Books in Print, I used the advnaced search selection and chose "subject - all" as my search on option. However, I did go back and try the "Keyword in Subject" and came up with the same results.

I found the Library Lit database to be easier to work with and easier to find information pertaining to my needs. At first I had some problems finding much of anything, but after reading the "Help" I was able to ease through it. Another I noticed was that I found more (maybe even better) information with this database by using the "smart search" option.

As for the Books in Print, I really had trouble getting into this one. Part of my problem may have been that I was looking for articles and not books. However, this database tends to focus on books (as the name of it suggests). I did find some good books, but I had to try several different searches. (I only listed a few of them here.) It was interesting the number of search options one has under "Binding" from the advance search menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment